Sunday, January 10, 2010

Is it just me, or should breast cancer awareness not put men in a position to stumble?

Ok. So. The other day, I was getting bombarded by colors on Facebook. Every other girl's status update was "black" or "tan" or "pink" or "red." Come to find out, it's an attempt to raise breast cancer awareness. Every girl is supposed to put the color of their bra as their status update... that's it. I have not jumped on the bandwagon.

I can understand and appreciate the desire to raise breast cancer awareness, but... is this really a wise way to do it? Isn't it most likely just causing boys to think about what you look like in that bra (especially when 85% of them are "black" or "red")? Isn't that weird to think of everyone knowing/visualizing what color bra your mom/sister/wife/daughter/grandma is wearing? A few of my guy friends have even posted complaints about it on their Facebook.

The second thing is, it doesn't offer any explanation. Most boys have figured out by now that it's bra colors, but not many of them know the breast cancer story behind it. Therefore, my same guy friends that have complained about it are being chewed out for not being supportive of breast cancer. Really?

Maybe I'm a little over-sensitive, especially when I'm struggling to recognize and establish boundaries of things that could cause John to stumble. It just seems that there could be a more effective/less provocative way to get the message out, no?

No comments: