Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tossing the glass slipper, and embracing reality.

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?" Jeremiah 17:9


I'm a hopeless romantic. I'm a sucker for all the "listen to your heart," "what's meant to be will always find its way" happy endings. I'm struggling. I've allowed these thoughts to infiltrate too deeply into my life. I've allowed my mind to be consumed with fairytales. I expect my life to flow like the storyline of a chick flick, rather than reveling in the real life love story I've been blessed with. There's nothing wrong with fairytales, but they can't be trusted as truth. I shouldn't be trying to put my faith in them. I need to learn to lead my heart. I need to daydream and "what if" less, and listen for and trust God's will more. That's where the real happily ever afters are.

I don't mean to sound jaded. I hate to think of myself that way. But, I don't want to be silly enough to let my life pass me by, wishing for it to end like one of my favorite movies. This is real life. The only one I get.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer." Psalm 19:14

I couldn't ask for a better reminder right now. This is my daily prayer. Please join me.

No comments: