Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Dance isn't through with me yet!

I've been thinking about it for a few weeks and I have finally come to a conclusion... I am changing my major. Well, kind of. I'm still going to do education, but rather than elementary I want to switch to being a high school dance director. That was always what I wanted to do, but for some reason I've been making excuses and talking myself out of it. I don't know why, but I'm not going to anymore. Especially after doing all my observations here in Brenham, I've realized that as much as I love kids, that's not really what I want to do all day, every day. I think I just loved it so much in high school because I was assigned to an amazing teacher with a great classroom. But now I realize that that is definitely not the norm in public schools. I was an officer for 2 years in high school, I work (worked?) for a dance company, and I have had some experience teaching in studios (I'm teaching 2 classes this summer so I'll have even more!). I know technique, I know how to choreograph, I know companies for costumes, camps, competitions... I really feel like I know what I'm doing! Especially after being on the team here the past 2 years, I've had a lot of time to think about what I would do differently if I was in charge. I feel much more confident about this route and much more excited :]

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Sometimes we stray away from our real dreams because they are just that - too real. They seem unattainable in the reality of life. Proud of you for being brave and saying "yes I can."

Kids will always be around - you know, procreation and all that. haha.